Sunday, May 8, 2011

It's May and Mothers Day. It's special because lots of fun things happen in May. Last week I got home from the American Mothers Convention in Salt lake City. It was brief but fun and Sherri Dew's keynote speech at the gala banquet made it all worthwhile. Lyle asked me to speak in sacrament and I think he was inspired to ask me because of that talk. I didn't even tell him about it yet. We made bridal invites for Ari's bridal shower that Amalie is hosting on June 3 and Jeremy picked up his grad announcements for Kamehameha Schools graduation May 30. Wow! Jaren has pops concert this saturday too! I don't know how we'll make all of these events because Jeremy graduates from seminary on the same night. Last night, May 7, Lyle and I chaperoned the Kamehameha senior prom. We stationed by a door to watch that no kids went in or out of and it was outside of the main party but close enough that we could check out the happenings. After the kids went through the buffet line they would walk down a hall and pass right in front of us. Jeremy's date was so beautiful in red. Her name is Ailana Meyer. such an adorable person. He looked so handsome in red and black! I picked out his vest and tie at the tuxedo rental place. 4 proms this year! I bought a 1 suit to wear to all of them and told him it was for his mission next year as well. At the end of the evening he came by to get his stuff as well as last year's date, Emily Char. She is so outgoing and personable! Much more than I thought, or she has grown a lot in this past year! She and Jeremy were "sparring" verbally. That was fun to watch. the theme of the prom was Sweet Serenade. There were candy decorations all over the prom and each table had a 16 inch vase full of gumballs. CUTE! well right before going home Jeremy told Emily, I'll give you $5 if you can catch a gumball in your mouth! she was game! I wished I had gotten a picture of him throwing the gumballs and she with her wide mouth open trying to catch one. so funny and cute! Ailana watched, amused. Emily's date was quite the gentleman. He was polite and quiet. I must say it seems Emily and Jeremy have quite a playful relationship! She invited him to a after prom party at her seminary teacher's home. It can't get much better than that! I watched her lead her prom date around all night. He was like a little puppy dog following his master (or mother :)). Lyle and I went to spy from afar on Jeremy at the dance floor with Ailana. Lynette Serrao told us he was dancing with everybody but his date. When I checked they were in slow dance form, a little too close for my comfort. We almost cancelled on chaperoning but I'm so glad we did.
When Jacob and Monica walked by us I got a picture and I told them, now don't be self concious and try not to think that your Bishop is chaperoning your prom! ugh! funny thought indeed!

Last summer Jeremy and I had a huge falling out and one of the things that came out of him was that he failed with Emily. I told him that I got the sense that Emily obeys the standards and would never ever get a boyfriend because it was against church standards. She was the only one with a dress with sleeves at last year's jr prom. When Melanie Serrao came over to have me hem her prom gown she said, "I'll be the only one there with a dress with sleeves. I said, no Emily will have a dress with sleeves. she said, oh yes! she will!" I like Emily. I don't know if she's Jeremy's type but wish that the two will have a small chance to get to know each other more in college or after his mission. She's quite a leader and a stalwart worthy YW. and yes, she wore her shrug all night. I think her dress had spaghetti straps but I could not tell
More fun and more activites coming up in May!

No comments: